If you are about to bring home a new kitten and are trying to figure out what toys to buy for your new arrival, or if you have an oldercat or cats and just want to add a little spice to their life, read on. One of the best purchases you can make, and sure to be a favorite among the kitten toys, is a kitty condo!
All cats have a natural instinct to climb. Most also love to run and jump and many love to curl up in enclosed spaces. A kitten is full of energy, and a kitty condo is the perfect toy to accommodate all of these natural instincts. Not to mention a great way to divert attention away from the curtains or anything else that looks interesting!
Kitty condos have come a long way in the last few years. Gone are the days when a cheap, wobbly tower of questionable quality and safety was the only choice. It’s fairly easy with a bit of searching these days to find a durable, hand-crafted condo that looks like a beautiful piece of furniture.
Considering how long this toy will last, and how much use it will get, this is one purchase where you should spend some money. Think of it as an investment. Here are some tips for choosing what to buy:
- Sisal is a natural, non-toxic fiber that cats love to scratch. You’ll often find it wrapped around the posts of the condo. Look for sisal that has not been oiled or bleached but is “natural”, and ask if it has been “cured” before use. This means that it won’t expand once it dries and unravel.
- Check the base of the unit. Bigger is not always better. Small bases can be sturdy, large ones can be wobbly. It is more a question of weight. Be sure that the weight of a running cat won’t topple the condo, which could result in serious injury.
- If you have multiple cats, look for a condo that has several different perches to give each cat their own spot.
- Some of the less expensive kitty condos use carpet that contains formaldehyde. This is especially important to check, given that your kitty will likely spent hours a day on the carpeted area(s). Look for carpet free from formaldehyde (natural wool is a good choice), and check that the carpet was applied with non-toxic glue.
- If your cat likes to be “in” things, look for a condo that has enclosures. These make a great place for hiding out or just a favorite place to curl up and sleep. Again, if you have multiple cats, look for a condo that has an enclosure for each cat.
A new kitty condo can be just the thing to provide hours of enjoyment for your furry loved one(s), not to mention the enjoyment you’ll get from watching them play. Your cats – and your curtains – will love you for it!
Click here for a great selection of cat furniture.